Stewart Title Guaranty Company is a leader in the Canadian title insurance industry and is headquartered in Toronto with offices located from coast-to-coast. Best known for its innovative technology systems that enhance the real estate closing process, Stewart Title helps lawyers increase efficiency and decrease costs by offering value-added title insurance products for residential and commercial properties.
At Stewart Title, our motto is magnificent service by inspired professionals. We offer a challenging and team-oriented environment, as well as a competitive salary and complete benefit package.
We are currently recruiting for Underwriting, Claims and Quality Assurance Counsel to join our Underwriting, Claims and Quality Assurance teams in the Toronto office. These positions play an integral role in our company’s dedication to Customer Service excellence.
- Analyzing risk associated with insuring real estate transactions based on parameters defined by the Company.
- Responding to customer and internal inquiries related to underwriting issues arising on residential and commercial transactions and advising as to the real estate process and title insurance coverage.
- Drafting title insurance underwriting clauses and endorsements.
- Reviewing transactions flagged for potential real estate fraud.
- Handling complex underwriting issues, such as for native land transactions.
- Advising on legal developments and their interaction with title insurance coverage.
- Customer and internal inquiries, questions and problem solving.
- Other duties as required or assigned.
- Investigating and responding to complex claims inquires on residential and commercial policies
- Evaluating claim inquiries with respect to coverage provisions and determining which claims are covered
- Preparing coverage/denial letters and other correspondence
- Handling all communication with the Insured and/or their lawyers
- Determining and acting upon the appropriate resolution to claim inquiries
- Other duties as required or assigned
Quality Assurance Counsel
- Conduct Quality Assurance reviews for critical cases in accordance with QAV guidelines. Review title and execution searches, surveys and title insurance policy documentation, to assess compliance with STG protocols and best practice standards.
- Conduct pre-approval visits as may be requested by Supervisor or Quality Assurance Committee.
- Prepare written summaries, reports, and recommendations of all Critical Audit and Pre-Approval visits for distribution to Quality Assurance Committee.
- Present findings and recommendations of visits at monthly QA Committee meetings or as required. In urgent cases of potential risk and exposure to the company, notify supervisor and QA Committee meeting immediately.
- Assist in monthly training for the QAA’s and for providing suggestions for clients that should be elevated to critical audit status, or otherwise be brought to the attention of the QA Committee.
- Prepare written correspondence to clients in the form of summary letters, undertakings, etc. as may be required by QA Committee.
- Review disciplinary decisions, upcoming hearings, etc. for Ontario and Atlantic Canada lawyers and paralegals and make recommendations for appropriate action (ie/ Flashlist, Cancellation, CA visit) with respect to that individual.
Combined Skills & Requirements:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience practicing Real estate law in either private practice, in house or with a regulatory body.
- Title insurance knowledge would be an asset.
- Knowledge of both Residential and Commercial real estate law
- Strong computer proficiency with Windows and MS Office.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Some litigation experience would be an asset
- Ability to multi-task and adhere to numerous concurrent deadlines
- Adapts readily to a fast pace and dynamic environment
- interpersonal and presentation skills
To pursue this opportunity please forward your cover letter and resume to the HR Department via email (INTLresumes@stewart.com) or alternatively via fax 416-981-7214. Please make sure you include the position you are applying for and salary expectations in the cover letter.
Stewart Title is committed to accommodating persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during any aspect of the application process, please let us know. We can be reached by:
- Email (INTLresumes@stewart.com)
- Telephone: 416-307-3300 (please ask to speak to a Human Resources representative)
- Mail: 200 Bay Street, Suite #2600, Toronto, ON M5J 2J2
- Fax: 416-981-7214
Thank you to all applicants for your interest. Please note, only those that are under consideration will be contacted.