FACL Ontario is calling for nominations for Full Member Directors and Student Member Directors, as well as committee applications!
FACL Ontario members interested in serving (1) a two-year term as a Full Member Director or a one-year term as a Student Member Director, and/or (2) a one-year term as a committee member, should send a resume/CV and a Statement of Interest (maximum 500 words) to email@example.com by 5:00 pm on Friday, April 28, 2023. The subject line of your email should be: “FACL Application – Director/Committee”.
All Directors are expected to commit between 3-6 hours a month (approx.) to FACL matters and to participate in at least one committee. All committee members are expected to commit between 2-4 hours a month (approx.) to committee matters. Director/committee responsibilities may occasionally require more hours in any given month. For more information on the work done by FACL’s committees, please visit our website.
We are accepting applications to join the following committees:
- Advocacy and Policy Committee
- Mentorship Committee
- Community Outreach Committee
- GTA North Committee
- ESL / Foreign-Qualified Lawyers Committee
- FACL Ottawa Committee
- Awards Committee
- Podcast Committee
- Women’s Committee
- Events Committee
- Communications Committee
- Governance Committee
- Conference and Gala Committee
- Partnerships Committee
You should only submit one Statement of Interest regardless of how many positions you are interested in (e.g., if you are applying for multiple committees, you would only submit one Statement of Interest). If you are submitting a nomination for a Director position, you should indicate which committee(s) you are interested in and what/how you would contribute. Applicants who are not nominated for Director positions may still be considered for committee positions.
For all nominees/applicants, if applicable, please use your resume/CV and/or your Statement of Interest to describe:
- your prior involvement with FACL Ontario; and
- your capabilities in the following skills: coding/WordPress, events planning/promotion, graphic design, and social media.
All nominees/applicants must be a registered FACL Ontario member at the time of submitting their nomination/application (https://on.facl.ca/become-a-member/):
- A “Full Member” means an individual who self-identifies as Asian Canadian and is a lawyer in good standing with a Law Society in Canada, a judge of a court in Canada or a full-time member of the faculty of a law school in Canada and who, in each case, supports the objects of the Corporation.
- A “Student Member” means an individual who self-identifies as Asian Canadian and is a student-at-law in good standing with a Society in Canada, a student of the faculty of an accredited law school in Canada, or an NCA student, and who, in each case, supports the objects of the Corporation.
For all Director nominees, you must:
- be, at the date of election of the Member and thereafter remain throughout the term of office, a Full Member (or Student Member as applicable) of [FACL Ontario];
- be at least eighteen (18) years of age, with power under law to enter into Contracts;
- not be an undischarged bankrupt or a mentally incompetent person;
- have been, at the date of the election, a Member for a minimum of twelve (12) months;
- not have, within the five (5) years immediately preceding the date of the election and through the term of the office:
- been found guilty of professional misconduct by a [Law] Society;
- been found guilty of, or convicted of, any criminal offence under a statute in Canada; and
- not be, as of the date of the election and thereafter throughout the term of office, the subject of a notice of referral by a Law Society.
All nominations/applications are expected to abide by the FACL Ontario Bylaws. By submitting a nomination/application, you agree and attest that you are doing so in accordance with the above criteria.