AHM Name Challenge 2019
May is Asian Heritage Month. This month we want to hear examples to further advance the pan-Asian Canadian Bar in Ontario. Let’s start with your name…
FACL Ontario is excited to share videos it has created with Asian-Canadian lawyers in Ontario!
Through these videos, we want to:
- Make hearing Asian names more commonplace;
- Increase opportunities for Asian-Canadian lawyers and others in law who may be omitted from consideration because someone cannot pronounce their name and thus does not feel comfortable approaching them; and
- Inspire you to share your name and practical examples.
Together we can make pronouncing Asian names familiar, and increase being included.
Your Turn: Name Challenge
FACL Ontario wants to hear about inclusive approaches!
We challenge you to share on your social media account a video that:
1. Is one minute or less;
2. Introduces yourself, or introduces someone who is Asian-Canadian and a member of the Ontario Bar; and
3. Speaks to one of the following:
- Name an Asian-Canadian law professor who made you feel welcomed in law school, and what was that inclusive approach?
- As an Asian-Canadian lawyer, what one action did someone take, or comment did someone make, that made you feel included at work, during a client meeting, or at a networking event?
- Name an Asian-Canadian lawyer who has provided guidance you found helpful to advance your law career, and what was that suggestion?
- As an Asian-Canadian lawyer or law student who has a name that is commonly mispronounced, what action have you taken to successfully help others pronounce your name?
- Share the story behind your Asian name.
Even if you think you have a name others can easily pronounce, we want you to participate!
When you share your video on social media, use the hashtag #FACLAHM19.