LGBTQ youth face a variety of unique challenges in their relationships with parents, schools, governments and more. Join the Law Society, and the Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SOGIC) and Child and Youth Law Sections of the Ontario Bar Association to explore the rights of this group of young people and the obligations of those involved in their care. Hear from our expert panel as they unravel the intricacies and make sense of recent developments in this area of the law. The discussion will explore:
- Medical Issues and Access to Care, such as LGBTQ inclusive sexual health education, protection from “conversion” therapies, and the rights of trans youth to gender affirming treatment;
- Expression Issues, such as the rights of LGBTQ youth to safely express their sexual orientation or gender identity in school and at home, or to have their gender identity reflected on government-issued identification;
- Social Impacts, such the support systems available to support LGBTQ youth in schools and to address LGBTQ youth homelessness; and
- The legal and human rights framework relevant to LGBTQ youth, including privacy and child protection issues, and venues and services available to protect these rights.
Date & Time:
June 23, 2015
Panel Discussion: 5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Reception: 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Osgoode Hall, 130 Queen St. W., Toronto
Please enter through the east-side doors facing Nathan Phillips Square.
This public event is free, but space is limited and the event has reached capacity. To register and be placed on the waiting list, please click here.
- N. Nicole Nussbaum, Staff Lawyer, Legal Aid Ontario and Project Lead, TransFORMING Justice, Trans Legal Needs Assessment Ontario?
- Mary Birdsell, Executive Director, Justice for Children and Youth
- Dr. Joey Bonifacio, MD, FRCPC, Staff Physician, Adolescent Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children
For additional information, please contact: email@example.com | 416-947-3413 | 1-800-668-7380, ext. 3413
Photographs taken at this public event will be used in Law Society and partner organization print and online publications.